The FLorIdiot

my thoughts on news, politics and life in general

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Facing Judgment

Yesterday started with bad news and ended with bad news. First, it took some time between early a.m. work to be done and processing the news I heard in the background. Once I was on my commute to the office, I finally got what I suppose is close to the whole story regarding the marine and allegedly unarmed, wounded combatant. My first thought was there are pieces missing to this story, and editing done for sensationalism. My second thought, in Iraq, trust no one.

I don't want to become a completely gung-ho stand behind the marines no matter what sycophant, because that does our servicemen and our country dishonor. But on the other hand, I am not about to condemn a man in a circumstance that I have no view of the before and after, but only 10 seconds worth of a week long battle.

At first, all I got to "see" was a transcript of little dialogue from that 10 second blur and a description of the scene. Last nite, I saw my first viewing the "blacked out" version, but heard the marines voice. In my mind, there was no animosity or cruelty in the soldier's voices, only fear. You can not hear that from a transcript! And lo, as descriptive as the Reuter's report was about the video, they made no attempt to describe the tone of the marine. This too, dishonors our servicemen.

Fortunately, in America, when you reach your destination, the radio is turned off, you go into work and you continue to go about a safe and normal life. Our military in Iraq and Afghanistan have no such luxury but our working hard to make sure we that we do.

As one man faces judgment of his countrymen, another faces judgment with our Lord. My friend, Rickey Biggs, age 43, passed away yesterday. He was a good and giving man, loving father and a courageous human being, who battled ALS, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis for many years. I am sure our Father will bless his soul and welcome him with loving arms, as I am sure he did with my own Kyle.


May all those who fight battles within and without and lose their lives in the process, receive the blessings of our prayers and peace they all deserve. May we never forget them, no matter how large or small a part they played on the world stage, their lives inspire us all.

"Better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6" - anonymous Marine quote


UPDATE: I just want to add this perfect letter from a Marine from Powerline

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home