The FLorIdiot

my thoughts on news, politics and life in general

Thursday, November 25, 2004

Thanks Giving

Maybe moral values will help us all come back to the place where we remember that Thanksgiving is not about Turkey and Football, but about Thankfulness and Family.


I am most grateful to the Lord for the wonderful seven years he allowed me to spend with
Kyle. Although, these holidays are difficult without him, I can still see his sparkling eyes and joyful smile, as the meal was laid out and the family surrounded him. Perhaps he, more than anyone I've ever known, really appreciated the "Family" part of the celebration.


As an outsider, it was hard for me to understand this special closeness he felt with them. Other than his mother, the others were not very involved with his life. But I think I understood the commonality they shared. The struggles as kids, that they endured, the protectiveness they felt being together. They were an army of 4 against the world, with Mom as the General.


It was a different setting then what I had been accustom but in many ways, being in this rural setting, with this family, in spite of their shortcomings, stood strong together, and made the most of the holiday celebrations, taught me a great deal about life... and death.


I am thankful to our Lord for having been blessed with my own strong-willed Mother, who always gave more then she ever received. My own family dimensions may have seemed just as unusual and fraught with its own shortcomings, but I personally don't recall ever feeling like I missed out on something.


Growing up, I was close to my brother, and admired my older sister. Our mother gave us all the tools to become whatever we wanted. Some of us had a clearer picture of what that was and others had to wait until their calling came knocking. I'm still waiting.


I am thankful to our Lord for the plain dumb luck of having been born in the United States of America. For those who live here and are not aware, it is still the Land of Opportunity. Many are familiar with "Ask and you shall receive" and in the US, the motto should be "Strive and you shall acheive". They are one and the same, as the good Lord tried to teach us, you have to do something in order to get something.


So on this day of Thanks, I thank the Lord for the life I have been given, the family and loved ones with whom I have been blessed and the opportunities and discoveries that still lie before me.


Happy Thanks Giving... Give someone a Hug

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home